If you are a member of the JAF, you can use basic road assistance services free of charge. The towing service for a broken-down vehicle is also free up to the first 15 km. JAF provides road assistance services throughout Japan 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year. We recommend that you join the JAF for your security in an emergency.
For details, please contact the General Information Service Center (048-840-0036). You can also apply for membership online by clicking "Join JAF" below (Japanese only).
Individual and Family members are eligible for JAF's road service regardless of whether the member owns the vehicle or not. That means you're covered when you drive your own car, your friend's car, your company's car, rent-a- car or other vehicles subject to road service, including when you are passenger in a car that needs road service.
Under Corporate membership, anyone who belongs to the company registered with JAF is entitled to JAF's road service provided the vehicle number is printed on the membership card.
* All JAF members, regardless of the type of membership, must present their membership card at the road service site. Membership rates will not apply if they fail to show their membership card.
Members of affiliated automobile clubs of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile
(FIA) and American Automobile Association (AAA) are entitled to JAF road services equivalent to regular JAF members (most of JAF’s road services free of charge, with the exception of some work) if they present a valid home club membership card with either of the logos below.
Click here （For Foreign FIA Club's Members） for other services.
Interpretation is available for the following languages.
The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in a total of 12 languages.
[English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesia, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian]
Road Services Available and Applicable Areas
JAF road service responds to troubles concerning vehicle functions or troubles that prevent driving, as shown below, which occur on the road, home garage, public parking lot, or similar places. There is no set limit as to how many times one can call and take advantage of JAF's road services.
- 1. Major troubles concerning vehicle's structural unit
- (1) Dead battery and other battery-related problems
- (2) Failure to start the engine and other engine-related problems
- (3) Broken belt and other belt-related problems
- (4) Leakage of mission oil and other oil-related problems
- (5) Flat tire and other tire-related problems
- (6) Failure or malfunctioning of lights
- (7) Broken brake lever and other problems that occurred after a motorcycle’s falling accident
- 2. Major troubles that prevent driving
- (1) Locking of the key inside the vehicle
- (2) Running out of gas
- 3. Services for major troubles following an accident or falling
- (1) Towing of vehicle involved in an accident, or transportation of such vehicle on a car-transporting vehicle
- (2) Pulling up vehicle from ditches or other locations outside the road
*In case temporary repairs cannot be applied or the vehicle in distress cannot be fixed to run on its own on the spot, JAF road service will tow the said vehicle or transport it on a car-transporting vehicle to the nearest car dealer, maintenance shop, parking lot, or other locations.
Type of motor vehicles subject to JAF Road Service
Revised on April 1, 2010
- 1.Vehicles subject to JAF Road Service are motor vehicles (including mini-cars) and motorized bicycles weighing 3,000kg or less that have a maximum loading capacity of 2,000kg or less.
- 2.Motor vehicles weighing 3,001kg or more are eligible only for locked key and out-of-gas rescue operation
* Large-size special purpose vehicles and small-size special purpose vehicles are not eligible for either of the services above.
Remarks regarding Road Service
- 1.Road Service does not cover vehicles weighing more than 3,000 kg including their cargo. And in case of a long-distance transfer or infringement of the law such as illegally remodeled vehicles, vehicles that have not passed the current car inspection (Sha-ken), vehicles not covered by compulsory automobile liability insurance, or drunken driving, the Service will not be provided.
- 2.The Service may not be provided for vehicles on which JAF's equipment and/or vehicles do not work effectively (for example, unlocking of specially constructed keys, serious accidents or fallen vehicles) or whose construction does not allow towing, or when there is no place nearby to tow the disabled car. Even in such cases, please contact our Road Service Call Center in the area so that we can assist you such as by introducing other service providers that can deal with the situation.
- 3.The Service may not be provided even for applicable vehicles in the event they are carrying loads such as valuable or hazardous goods, or perishable products that our Service might damage, degrade or endanger.
- 4.We cannot assist you on roads that are closed to traffic, seasonally closed or for construction work, where general vehicles are prohibited from passing, and in areas that the Minister in charge has designated as "no thoroughfare" for reasons of the nature and/or environmental conservation. The Service may also not be provided when it is extremely difficult for our vehicle to travel such as on icy or snowy roads, or in non-level areas, coastal areas or riversides, as well as in the event a natural disaster could threaten or make our work difficult.
- 5.In some isolated islands, the Road Service cannot be provided.
- 6.Flat tires may not be fixed at site. Please consult us when you call.
- 7.In case of breakdown or accident on a road, precautions such as placing a stop sign should be taken to avoid secondary accidents. Especially on expressways and motorways, the law requires drivers to place a stop sign behind their vehicles. After taking those precautions, please move to a safe place such as outside of the guardrail and wait for our service car to arrive.
- 8.If special expenses such as parking fees at parking lots or fees for a car ferry (both ways) arise, such expenses will be borne by the customer who requested the Service.
- 9.Some types of our work require the driver's license or car inspection certificate to be shown.
- 10.If the Service requested may affect the place or possessions of a third party, please contact those concerned for their approval.
- 11.Road Service operations on expressways and motorways inherently involve major risks. Your cooperation and understanding is appreciated as it may take some time for us to take proper safety precautions.